Thursday, November 12, 2009

Fighting against complacency

Occasionally I realize that it's been a while since I updated the content of my eBay or Etsy listings. I do change the pictures for each item, but I don't often look at the basic text, things like shipping policies. Shipping methods. Personal policies.

Now that eBay has stopped the purchase of shipping insurance on listings, I need to revamp all of my listings to remove the sentence about insurance. But it also occurs to me that this is a good time to review the text of my listings.

Recently I had a customer who mentioned that they felt my policies were too vague. In the ensuing emails, I had difficulty in communicating what I thought were very clear ideas. However, I am grateful to the customer for making me take a closer look. Rereading it right now, I noticed that I could change the wording to make it even clearer.

I think it's a good idea to continually test and retest our work, and even though the basic text at the bottom of the entry can hardly be considered "work," it still deserves attention.

No comments: