Thursday, June 19, 2008

Hooray for trying something new!

I was supposed to do a show in Midland today, but the threat of bad weather (and the high gas prices) kept me home.

So I tried to use my time well. I've been wanting to put things on Etsy for the longest time--in fact, I made an entire line of pieces with Green Girl pendants for that very purpose. But I just never seemed to get around to it.

I set up my little photo studio on the kitchen table, and tried taking pictures again.



I'm unhappy with my first attempts, honestly. At this point I can scan a bead fairly effectively, and fix it with my very limited knowledge of Photoshop. But photos? Totally new world. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. If I use the macro lens, it's hard to get everything in the shot. If I don't, the camera has to be too far away.

One of the hardest things for me to learn is that you can't do everything right on the first try. Or even the second. It's nearly impossibly for me to not feel disappointed with this set of photos, but I tried not to listen to the inner voice of criticism, and instead just went ahead and listed the items on Etsy anyway.

So I'm going to put aside more time to experiment tomorrow. Practice really does help, and I need to remember that practice is how I'll get better.

I'm really liking Etsy, except I'm having a terrible time uploading photos--I've always had this Firefox bug that brings up a dialogue box about a script hanging whenever I upload large photos, and it's been the bane of my existence in this Etsy process. Five photos, five dialogue boxes, and worse, sometimes it just resets and I have to go back to the last step again. Grr.

In other news, I'm getting a little more used to Blogger, and it's an interesting place; I like the add-ons that you can place in the sidebar. I love the new Blog add-on, and I especially like the mini-Etsy panel.

No comments: