Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Still prepping for the show

On Saturday I'll be at Molten Obsession's West Michigan Bead Expo. I've been going through all of my inventory again and making plans.

I'm happy to say that I've pulled a big box of pearl strands out from under my desk and finally processed and priced them for the show. I was intending on using them for my own projects, but I finally decided that I can always find more closeout pearls, and I should just go ahead and sell them. I bagged some up as well for my dollar bags.

Doing these shows has been an interesting experience. On the one hand, I had expected experienced beaders to be the most interested in the dollar bags and strands that I have, as the prices are below wholesale. But I've found that experienced beaders see the bins of dollar bags and just keep walking. They don't take the time to see how the prices compare, and I think I can understand that--I would probably not be tempted by little bags of beads either. On the other hand, the new beaders who are attracted by beads in dollar bags don't always understand that the prices are very good.

I feel like I'm in a bit of a catch-22, honestly. I thought that selling closeout beads would be a really great niche, and that people would respond to the great prices positively, but I wonder if I'm presenting it properly, because it doesn't seem like I'm getting the reaction I expected. Then again, what ever does?

No comments: