Thursday, February 24, 2011

Visions of the past

I just passed my 200th post on this blog! Hard to believe, honestly!

One of the other treasures I brought home from my trip was something I've been eyeballing for a long time.

Laurel Moon Victorian boot buttons

Did you guess what they are?

They're boot buttons. Actual Victorian-era boot buttons. They're made out of shell, and they're tiny. I fell in love with the color and the look first, and then when I heard the history, they became irresistible. They're just so intriguing to hold in my hand.

Fashion is an interesting beast. It changes from day to day. One day we're wearing high laced boots with tens of fiddly little buttons; the next, slip-on clogs. I love seeing the bits and bobs of things that were left by the wayside as we progressed to the next trend. That's part of the reason vintage beads and cabochons intrigue me so much. I get to see the colors that used to be the Must Have. The shapes of yesteryear.

I can't wait to use these in a design. In fact, I might save some just for myself, and add in a few Mercury dimes from my hoard. I think they'd look great together.

No comments: