Sunday, September 11, 2011

Pinpointing audiences with Google Adwords

I enrolled in Google Adwords earlier this year when I first debuted my new website. I didn't really know what I was doing, but I thought I might as well give it a go. I set up some keywords that I thought might work.

I didn't have a lot of success at first, and I decided to expand my keywords and use some of the suggested keywords.


I incorporated all of them, and set my daily budget at $5 per day. It seemed to bring in a fair number of clicks, but what I didn't understand at the time was that my bounce rate was too high.

What's a bounce rate? It just refers to how quickly people leave your website. If someone clicks on your website expecting something specific, and they don't find it quickly, then they will click away fairly quickly. For example, in the above example, "vintage beaded necklaces" is not really a quality set of keywords for my website because I don't actually sell vintage necklaces. I do create jewelry with vintage components, but vintage necklaces are an entirely separate market geared for collectors of vintage and antique jewelry.

I paused all of my campaigns after a few months because I wasn't seeing results, and I pushed revising it to the back of my to-do list.

Well, recently I decided I wanted to start the advertising again. I had two different ads, one for my Etsy jewelry shop, one for my website. I took a careful look at the Etsy jewelry shop ad and revised the text slightly.

I took a close look at the keywords and narrowed them down to very specific words:


More general terms cost more per click to get my link to the top of the page. Phrases like "beaded jewelry" are a little more expensive, and so vague that the person clicking on the link might not be as interested. However, if the person is looking for something as specific as Medusa jewelry, then they might be more interested in the link, and they might stay a little longer.

Dark Medusa necklace and earrings set on Etsy


I'm going to watch my bounce rate very carefully, and I think I'm going to spend some time analyzing the jewelry in my shop and which keywords I should add to my Etsy Google Ads campaign. It seems to be a constant process.

No comments: