Thursday, April 14, 2011

Fun at InterQuilten!

While I was visiting my parents, my mom wanted to stop at a little quilt shop in Interlochen, MI. From the minute we pulled up, I knew this was somewhere special. (Please forgive the quality of my camera pics; I have no photo editing software installed on this computer.)

InterQuilten, Laurel Moon visit

The door was intriguing. It looked like the door to a new realm; it reminded me of a hobbit dwelling. The whole design of the building on the outside was unusual. I could hardly wait to see the inside.

InterQuilten, Laurel Moon

And the inside did not disappoint. The walls and the ceiling were all entirely lined with wood. There were natural wood accents everywhere.

InterQuilten, Laurel Moon

There was a dazzling array of fabric everywhere I looked.

InterQuilten, Laurel Moon

The interesting thing about the quilting world and the beading world is that they often intersect. I sometimes sell beads and cabochons to quilters, and often beaders are quilters and quilters are beaders. There is bead embroidery on quilts, and beaders are becoming more aware of incorporating unusual materials in their beading, such as fabric.

One of the things we have in common is the tendency to stash yummy materials. We have racks full of beads; quilters have closets full of fabric. We love to hoard our supplies! Patterns and materials and tools, oh my!

Another thing we have in common is that color is so important to us. As beaders have a palette of beads, quilters have a palette of material.

InterQuilten, Laurel Moon

Just as we have a rainbow of stringing materials, quilters have a rainbow of colored threads to choose from:

InterQuilten, Laurel Moon

Everywhere I looked in this shop, there was succulent fabric to choose from. Wonderful colors and textures and amazing quilts, too!

InterQuilten, Laurel Moon

The shop owner, Tawni, was incredibly friendly and helpful.

InterQuilten, Laurel Moon

What a wonderful gem of a store! I'm so glad I was able to stop in and see her amazing shop. You can see InterQuilten online here. or stop at her store on M137 in Interlochen, MI (about twenty minutes from Traverse City) if you get the chance.

No comments: