Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A glimpse of scale

A while ago, I ordered one of Andrew Thornton's amazing new porcelain/metal clay pendants. Andrew, being the kindhearted soul that he is, included a few extra pendants for me to use in my designs.

Unfortunately, my internet connection has been awful for the past two weeks, and I haven't been able to do much besides struggle with Etsy and eBay listings. However, I think I've managed a workaround for the moment, and now I'm finally able to update the blog. Hooray!

Yesterday I was thinking about Andrew's pendants, and which one I wanted to work with first. My natural inclination was to design around the Day of the Dead pendant. For some reason, though, it just wasn't happening.

I went outside with my husband to look at our gardens, and my husband pointed out that there was a garter snake hanging out in the clematis trellis, winding her way through the vines, four feet from the ground. I was mesmerized, watching her coil and slither.

I couldn't stop thinking about her, and when I went inside and remembered that one of Andrew's pendants featured a snake, I couldn't resist!

I started putting together beads that evoked snakes for me. Anything green, beads with texture, beads with a bit of inner flash.

Andrew Thornton snake charm necklace, Laurel Moon

I especially liked the grossular garnet; it was a really great shade of green, with a high polish look that I really loved. However, the piece I chose turned out to be drilled a little wonky, as they sometimes are, and then I went through nearly two strands of beads trying to find one that would work with 20 gauge. In the end, though, it worked out even better than I had imagined; the piece that fit seemed to resemble the head of a snake.

Andrew Thornton snake charm necklace, Laurel Moon

I had originally picked out several different beads, but in the end, I included only a few. I love the result; minimalist, but still evocative of the serpent, the focus of the piece.

Andrew Thornton snake charm necklace, Laurel Moon

Andrew Thornton snake charm necklace, Laurel Moon

You can find more of Andrew Thornton's amazing pendants in his Big Cartel shop.

*FTC compliance disclosure: the serpent pendant mentioned in this post were provided as a promotional gift for review or design purposes from Andrew Thornton

No comments: