Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A necklace for myself

I often buy beads and put them aside for myself, thinking I'll make some righteous jewelry for myself later. And then later somehow never materializes. Have I mentioned that I bought a bead from Anne Choi in 2006, picked out kunzite to go with it, put it on a tray on my jewelry desk...and it's still there, even now?

Yeah. I don't have the best track record for getting around to my own jewelry. I know, I know, it's great advertising, and it is, but I just never remember to actually make more. Each year before the Bead & Button Show I think, oh, I'll make some jewelry to wear at the show! And then...I don't.

So when I saw that Andrew Thornton was making a new line of pendants, and that one of the pendants was a raven holding a skeleton key in its beak, I was transfixed. I emailed him immediately and bought one. And then I fully expected it to end up in the hoarding bins.

Last night while I was working on steampunk jewelry, I happened to notice one of my hoarded treasures, a graduated strand of rutilated quartz. It sparkled. It caught my eye, and suddenly I thought of the raven pendant.

Yes, they were perfect for each other.

Andrew Thornton raven necklace, Laurel Moon

Andrew Thornton raven pendant necklace, Laurel Moon

And now it is mine. MINE MINE MINE! I can't wait to wear it!

No comments: